Re: New copyright for Postilion's graphics

Dale James Thompson writes:
> I maintain the package for the postilion mail reader. A new release has just
> come out (0.9.0) and has added a copyright for the included graphics. Here is
> the copyright file:

> All graphics, image and icon files icluded with Postilion are copyright
> 1998, 1999 by Marco van Hylckama Vlieg <fatal@pc23-c801.uibk.ac.at>.
>
> These graphics may be freely distributed and modified but ONLY
> _WITH_ this program (Postilion).
>
> jnb 1/30/1999

> I do not believe that this copyright is DFSG compliant.

I think you are right, though I can see an interpretation that would call
them free.  What is the license on Postilion?

> Can such a package go into contrib or nonfree?

The graphics would have to go into nonfree.  The program would have to go
into contrib if it depends on the graphics but could go into main if it is
usable without them.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)