S1 Spawning too fast, messages

hi,
I have just loaded Debian onto a Toshiba Sat 110 CS, laptop, I did the load
with the cards in the slot, a CNET ethernet card, and a Motorola Montana
33.6 K Data / 14.4 K Fax card.

I have a working system going, just the bare bones, 5 Floppies base type of
install,
It boots up OK, and I can get around better as My command line memories
improve,
However evry five minutes I get a screen full of hash and lots of help from
wrong commands etc, the last line reads S1 Spawning to fast, pausing for 5
Minutes. Somewhere I found a Log which clearly showed this event happening,
However it did not clearly point to where I should go to bring the wee
beasty under control.

Heelp Please??
John S.