Re: Version specific packages

If I have _only_ gri-VERSION_VERSION packages, then they will
never be upgraded automatically.  I don't really want this.

I may simply take the dependence line out of the control file,
considering that it's not desirable to refer to a non-official
package.

Thanks,
Peter

Jules Bean wrote:

> How about this approach:
>
> Packages including the executables (and whatever else is needed) are
> called gri-<version>_<version> (i.e. exactly your current scheme).  These
> *are* uploaded to debian.
>
> The package gri-support_<version> contains the other stuff, currently in
> your unversioned package, *except* that it doesn't provide any executable
> at all.
>
> Then, arrange it such that there are no conflicts at all between gri-<x>
> and gri_support, or between gri-<x> and gri-<y>.
>
> Now, gri-<x> will Depend: on gri-support (possibly with a version
> requirement), and Provide: gri-program. (or just gri, maybe).
>
> You can then use the update-alternatives mechanism (read up on it) to make
> sure that a plain invocation to 'gri' will always catch the latest version
> installed, whereas a specific invocation of gri-x will catch a particular
> version.
>
> Under these rules, all the 'gri' could be in the normal dist (in the same
> way that we have many libgtk* at the moment).
>
> Of course, we'd hope that this is a (relatively) temporary situation, and
> that eventually gri will standardise its interface.

It mostly has.  Perhaps I'm just being too cautious because of
many years of using this software while it evolving quickly.