Re: Logging procedure/mechanism questions

Jonathan Hall wrote:

> And then my last question... What's the proper way to handle log rotation?
> According to the Debian Policy manual (section 4.8), I should use logrotate.
> This package does not exist on my system, tho...

I can only address this question.

logrotate is fairly new, in potato only.  We used savelog in cron
files in slink.

Yes, you should use logrotate. See other packages for examples.
For example, my powstatd package uses logrotate if it's
installed, and still uses savelog if logrotate is not installed
(makes it easier for me to make slink builds of the package).

Peter
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada