Re: Confusion about package naming -- please help!

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 01:25:09AM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> What should you do if the upstream tarball includes ick like FIFOs,
> random junk files and binaries? I tried just using the true upstream
> tarball but dpkg-buildpackage took exception both to the FIFO in the
> upstream source and to the fact that some of the changes between the
> debian-patched tree and the upstream were removal of files...
> (The Debian Packaging Manual specifically says that you can only make
> certain changes in the 'Debianisation diff' which seems to me to imply
> that you have to modify the orig.tar.gz in these cases.)
>
> [This was just for a deb I was building for my own private use, so I didn't
> greatly care -- I just created a cleaned-up orig.tar.gz. But I'm curious
> about what the Right Thing would have been.]

I think repacking the .tar.gz is quite reasonable in this case.
You have no other solution really. And be sure to flame^H^H^H^H^H politely
suggest to the upstream author that they not ship fifos in the .tar.gz.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176     hamish@rising.com.au
Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.    http://www.risingsoftware.com/