setgid stuff

I am involved in Debianizing a program (I am not the listed maintainer of
it, simply because the registration is closed), and have struck a problem.

The program, jwhois (should be in the distribution now), has been changed so
that it will keep a cache of previous lookups. To get this to work, the
binary need to be setgid some group. Now I wonder how this should be
handled, should the binary be setgid in the .deb file, or should that be set
in the installation scripts? Can it be created automatically by debhelper
rules? Which group can I use?

--
\\//
Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/