CVS, Makefile.in, and other cruft

I've come across two source archives that I'd like to package, that
have these characteristics:

1.  The source archive contains CVS subdirectories.

Should I remove these before building?  Does it matter?

2.  The source archive does not come with a Makefile, only a
    Makefile.in;  autoconf must be run before make.

Is autoconf assumed present for building?  Do I need to do anything
special?  None of the packages I've seen seem to call autoconf in the
build target of debian/rules.  In that case, I see two possibilities:
let the diff show the autoconf-generated Makefile.in, or call autoconf
explicitly in the original archive, first, and have it _not_ show up
in the diff.  Either way is a bit confusing.  Is there some policy
about this?

-itai