Upgrading packages?

I've created a couple of Debian packages of software. The initial creation
is covered in the guide I downloaded from www.debian.org, but after that I
am a bit wondering; How do I re-Debianize a new release, keeping so that I
can create the diff file as is required?

Also, any news on when the new maintainer applications will be re-opened?
I've had to "sneak" the packages I've created in by letting a friend, who is
a maintainer, uploading the packages in his name, but that solution is a bit
awkward... :-/

(Please Cc me as I'm not subscribed to this list)
--
\\//
peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/