Re: Shared library questions

Andreas Voegele <andreas.voegele@nikocity.de> writes:

> 1. Should I call the binary package gtksheet0 or libgtksheet0?
>
> dh_make suggests libgtksheet0, but there's already a package called
> gtkglarea4, so IMO gtksheet0 fits in better.

It doesn't seem to be policy, but just about all Debian packages of
shared libraries start with lib..., and that seems to be encouraged.
For instance, I've seen discussions that zlib1g should really have
been libz1 instead, and proposals to change this if the soname ever
changes.

I'd argue that gtkglarea4 is using the wrong name.  You should use
libgtksheet0 to fit in with the rest of Debian.

> 2. Should the development package depend on libgtk-dev or on
> libgtk1.2-dev? Will the GTK development package always provide
> libgtk-dev?

It looks like libgtk-dev was the development package for Gtk+ 1.0, and
libgtk1.2-dev Provides, Replaces and Conflicts with it so that it
appears as an upgrade, not so that development packages should depend
on the older package.  libgnome-dev depends on libgtk1.2-dev, so it
should be safe to go with that.

If we ever get a libgtk1.3-dev, it's unlikely the current -dev package
will work with it anyway.

	       "This is where your sanity gives in..."