Re: Strange Lintian Errors

David Coe <david@someotherplace.org> writes:

> Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> writes:
>
> >      The dictd package is built in .../debian/tmp, which contains
> > etc/init.d/dict in ../tmp/etc/init.d, and declares the script as a
> > conffile.  The dict package is built in .../debian/tmp_2, and has no
> > mention of this script in its tree.
>
> Are you sure?  (Yeah, I know, you are or you wouldn't have written.)
> But I doubt lintian is seeing stuff that isn't in the .deb ... what
> happens when you install the dict .deb -- I'll bet the file is there.

     Technically, you would lose the bet, but you put me on the right
track.  The init.d scripts aren't in the dict .deb, but they are referenced
in the maintainer scripts.  If dictd is is already installed, dict
installs OK because it /etc/init.d/dictd exists, but it dictd is not
installed, the dict installtaion fails.

     The problem was that I had been cutting and pasting the
maintainer scripts to provide the symlinks from /usr/share/doc to
/usr/doc, and failed to remove the "update-rc.d dictd defaults" and
"update-rc.d dictd remove" lines from postinst and postrm.

     After removing those lines both .debs are lintian clean.

     Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>