location for score files

Hi,
I have a little problem with the scorefiles of a package, where should the
scorefiles be? The author wants them in /var/games/<package-name> where I
had put it originally. Now I learned at the linux day that they should go
into /var/lib/games/<package-name> and I changed the package to do so,
moving old score files also to the new location.

The author wants his package to follow the FHS, so if var/lib/games is
the right place, he will change it. But is it the right place?

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard -- Version 2.0
    5.4  /var/games : Variable game data

    Any variable data relating to games in /usr should be placed here.
    /var/games should hold the variable data previously found in /usr;
    static data, such as help text, level descriptions, and so on, should
    remain elsewhere, such as /usr/share/games.

    As for /var/state, game variable data may be placed in /var/lib as a
    deprecated transitional measure.  However, this allowance will be
    removed in a future release of the standard.

So I have to move the score files back again? Or does debian use an
exceptional exception of the FHS here?

Ciao,
Christian.