Changing package names

Something that's been going through my mind recently is the
following:
Say I had package foo, and all was going well. Then, upstream,
they change the package name to 'bar,' and I decide to go along with
it.
How could I go about making it automated for an upgrade to happen?
Could I drop a Depends: bar in the new (pseudo) foo package, and
put a Conflicts: and Replaces: in bar for foo? Or is there /any/
way (because Conflicts: seems to suggest it can't be done) to
automate the upgrade to a package which has changed names?

The move from x11amp -> xmms got this going in my head a little while
ago, but I haven't bothered to ask before this.