r-pdl vs. pdl (was Re: Semi-retiring: All (ok, some) packages must go!)

Ok..

For the moment, I'm leaving r-pdl patches in pdl.  R doesn't work for me,
(this segfaults: perl -le 'use PDL::R; pnorm(.1,0.0,1.0);').  make test
doesn't complain, but that's probably because the debian package doesn't
include any tests for R.  I'm seriously concerned about this.

More generally, I'm interested in migrating R out of debian-only pdl
-- they should either be in upstream pdl package or not in debian's
pdl package.  But I need to figure out who to talk to before I can do
anything more about that.

[I'm also subscribing to pdl-porters -- something I've not done for
a while.]

If there's some way an R novice could quickly come up to speed on R
I'd appreciate any pointers.

--
Raul