Re: Little FAQ for users and maintainers

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 11:36:25PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Fabien Ninoles wrote:
>
> > Many time, apt-get break on conflicting files. It happens me often
> > on unstable but also when upgrading from slink to potato. Here some
> > recommendations to help users resolved the conflicts and also to
> > help maintainers do the Right Things (TM) the first time.
>
> I assume you mean file conflicts. I generally recommend adding this to
> /etc/apt/apt.conf
>
> dpkg::options {"--force-overwrite";};
>
> And use an 0.3 version of APT. Of course you should file bugs when you see
> the warning ;>
>
> Jason

We could add this to the FAQ. For me, I'll stay with this option since
it lets me find those bugs without having to keep looking at each
installation. I happily upgrade my machine each night through apt-get :)

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70