Re: vrweb, newbie maintainer/developer

> apply the diff on the source manually than update the control and the
> changelog files and make a 'dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot'. It should
> work (my rules file used some debhelper scripts which is useful to stay
> policy compliant).

done it all! that dpkg-bui... thing is pretty cool :)

i have a fresh question tho: do i have the right to rewrite/correct
spelling mistakes in README.Debian even tho i didn't originally debianise
vrweb? just some minor corrections...

oh and also, when vrweb is installed, is netscape supposed to
automatically know to use vrweb to open .wrl files? mine doesn't :( tho
lynx does :)

> Be sure also to send the patches to upstream!

ok, i'll do that after you have checked them :)

> The diff dpkg-source wait for is one produce by the build process (is
> not a custom one except that the paths are fixed). Just apply them manually
> and update the debian/changelog file appropriately using dch or the
> debbian-changelog mode of emacs.

i had problems there, but i can't recall what now as i worked around them.

> You should install debian-policy & packaging-manual and read the Developper
> Corner of the web pages.

i would have liked an idiot-proof howto / stepbystep guide to making /
changing a package (would make debian more accessible to new developers).
the docs were clear on the 5th time around, but a tutorial doc would be
nice.

but as usual, RTFM 5 or 6 times and you are clear on everything.

> > - How do I accept vrweb as mine? Do I need to get a sponser or something?
>
> I can be your sponsor seens you're not a maintainer. It'll be your when
> you upload it under your name. Please, contact me. I can give more
> details.

excellent :) how do i get it to you? email the .diff.gz, .changes and
.dsc? they are only about 97kb (love how small programs are in linux,
but thats a large patch).

> > - How do I wack it on the debian mirror and all that?
>
> dupload do the work when you're a maintainer.

cool. i'll leave that to you

> The bug seems to be fixes. In the changelog entry, add a 'Closes: #29078'
> anywhere. The bug will be automatically closed when the package will be
> uploaded.

vrweb (1.5-3) unstable; urgency=low

  * Fixed Imakefiles and source code. (Closes: #23539, #29078, #39580)
  * Change maintainer
  * Changed it to use update-mime. (Closes: #28866)

 -- Paul Harris <harri-pc@ee.uwa.edu.au>  Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:32:51 +0800

how does that look? will all three be automatically closed? does it matter
if a change runs over one line? can i put 3 bug closures together like
that?

> First, please, read the FM and web pages. A new, non-official procedure
> to help reducing the load of new-maintainer is to be sponsored by a current
> maintainer. I'm willing and will be happy to do this for you :) Please,
> read a little more and the contact me for any question. I'll contact you
> again if you have any other questions.

great :) i'm happy to be your sponsee :) i think i got everything right...
i'm trying for policy-3.0.1.1 but am unsure if i got everything ok... i
think so.

> Also, the sponsor help to speed up things by verifying the new package
> and uploading it himself in the name of the new maintainer (you have
> to be a maintainer to upload a package). So, can you send me your patches
> that I can check them? I can even upload it before you get your account
> if it's your desire.

i'll send them once i figure out this gpg thing, i'd like to get at least
one person to sign my key. also, do you know what keyserver i'm supposed
to upload my public key to?

i'm just going to wait and see if i can meet with Dave Cook for him to
sign my fresh gpg key (he's in perth somewhere nearby).

> Give me some news!
> Fabien
> { happy to see this embarrassing bugs finally closed! ;) }

almost there! so close!
Paul
(happy to fix these bugs!)

"If you can't make it good, make it look good."
				Bill Gates, 1995