new maintainer in Australia

hi,

i thought i would split up the email in two. anyway i'm the new (i hope)
maintainer for vrweb and have almost got it to upload-stage, and i would
like to look at becoming an official debian developer (who doesn't?).

is the waiting list really bad? i live in Perth, Australia, which is about
as far from anywhere as you can get... what should i use for scannable id?
passport? is there _ANY_ developer in Western Australia? am I the first?
(wow that would be cool).

if the waiting list is real bad, would that sponser thing be a better idea
for the moment? i would like to have my name on my work, i'm sure it would
come in handy for looking for vacation employment...

hope this isn't one of those standard newbie emails that you are all sick
of by now, but that mailing-list-search isn't fully working atm and a
seach for "australia" came up with just 2 threads that didn't look
relevant...

thanks!
Paul Harris