Re: program without version

Hi.

In article <[🔎] 86aeqh5u7b.fsf@chia.someotherplace.org>
 David Coe <david@someotherplace.org> writes:

> Darren Benham <gecko@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 07:52:36PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:

> > > Now what number should have a debian package?
> > >
> > > I will probably go for 0beta-1 (debhelper cannot digest just beta-1)
> > > unless somebody has a better idea.
>
> > Date...    990920-1 or something like that

> If you include the date, I'd suggest 0.0.19990920-1 or something like
> that.  The leading 0.0 keeps that version lower than the author's
> eventual 0.1 or 0.9 or 1.0 or whatever; the 1999 in the date keeps
> you happy for more than a few months.
>
> 0.0.beta-1 is probably just as good.

I agree with David. if you have once used the raw date (99mmmdd or 1999mmdd),
then you probably may have to use "epoch" for your package version
when the author will decide to attach his own version number on his software.

# Neither 0.1 nor 1.0 is higher than either 99mmmdd or 1999mmdd.

I can consult packaging manual, which has description in chapter
titled "5. Version numbering". But it does not tell how to do when
the "upstream version" can not available. It just says

     If an upstream package has problematic version numbers they should be
     converted to a sane form for use in the `Version' field.

And maint-guide says in it's "2.3. Stuff prior to `dh_make'":

     For the correct building of the program, you should move the source
     directory to <packagename>-<version>. As you can see, the example
     program gentoo doesn't need that, but maybe your program will. So,
     make the program's original name lowercase, if it already is not. If
     it consists of more than one word, contract them to one word or make
     an abbreviation. For example, program "John's little editor for X"
     package would be named johnledx or jle4x, or whatever you decide, as
     long as it's under some reasonable limit, like 15 characters.

     Also check for the exact version of the program (not the package!). If
     that piece of software is not numbered with versions like X.Y.Z, but
     with release date, feel free to use date (if the date was 19th of
     December, 1998. use it US-like shortened, 19981219) as the version
     number. Some won't be numbered at all, in which case you should
     contact the upstream maintainer to see if they've got some other
     revision-tracking method.

I have plan to do file a wishlist to maint-guide to ask to change
this lesson to use date with prefix as 0.0.19981219 as David wrote,
instead of to use raw date as 19981219, but I have not done it yet...

Maybe I should do it at this oppotunity.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>