Re: packaging quesiton about programs that include an .a libs

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 11:38:02AM -0700, Jim Westveer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am putting together a package of GNU barcode, and the program
> supplies an executable (barcode) info, and man files,...AND
> a supporting library libbarcode.a  .
>
> I suppose I could package the library separately...but I would
> rather have it in one package.  When I try to have debuild include
> the library, and place it in /usr/lib  debuild will do this,
> although lintian gives a warning:
>
> W: barcode: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/lib
> W: barcode: file-in-unusual-dir usr/lib.
>
> But when I try to install the package...dpkg pukes with:
>
> dpkg: error processing ../barcode_0.91.4-1_i386.deb (--install):
>  trying to overwrite directory `/usr/lib' in package gnome-gnobots with
> nondirectory

Check your package, it looks like you installed the file _as_ /usr/lib
(where lib is a file, not a directory). Second, make sure the lib get's
installed with +x (mode 644 according to policy, iirc).

Does this library come with headers? If so you should actually put the lib
and headers into their own -dev package.

Ben