Re: debian & UPS support

Jozef Hitzinger wrote:

> > > I'm curious because the standard rc0.d/S90halt script refers to ups:
> > >
> > > #! /bin/sh
> > > # halt          Execute the halt command.
> > > # Version:      @(#)halt  2.75  19-May-1998  miquels@cistron.nl
> > > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> > > # See if we need to cut the power.
> > > if [ -x /etc/init.d/ups-monitor ]
> > > then
> > >         /etc/init.d/ups-monitor poweroff
> > > fi
> > > halt -d -f -i -p

> > Here's what I figured out (please correct me if I'm wrong).
> >
> >  - Have your package provide and conflict with "ups-monitor"
>
> and with other ups packages too, I presume

No.  They should also provide and conflict with "ups-monitor" and
so this is taken care of without aprori knowing the full list of
UPS packages (which seems to be growing weekly!).

> >  - provide a symlink such that /etc/init.d/ups-monitor points to
> >    your /etc/init.d/smartupstools script.  This script should
> >    accept the "poweroff" argument to send the kill signal to the
> >    UPS on system halt.
>
> means that 'ups-monitor' is just hardcoded into halt script?

Yes.
>                                                              ok, I can
> mimic it's behavior, but .. hmm, I didn't find anything about this in the
> policy. please give me a pointer if it's just my blindness

Not mentionned in Policy.  Some of this is documented in the
sysvinit package (in particular the /etc/init.d/powerfail
script).  Since halt is part of that package, the docs might be
in there somewhere too.

> > Unrelated, but extra info: My package also has a
> > /etc/init.d/powerfail script.  This script is the one called by
> > init (as configured by /etc/inittab) and should accept the
> > arguments "start", "stop" and "now":
> >
> > - `/etc/init.d/powerfail start' initiates a timed "shutdown -h"
> >   (halt) in background, on the assumption that if power is
> >   restored the shutdown can be cancelled.
> >
> > - `/etc/init.d/powerfail stop' cancels the running shutdown and
> >   notifies all users that power is restored and no shutdown is
> >   imminent.
> >
> > - `/etc/init.d/powerfail now' cancels the running shutdown and
> >   initiates an immediate "shutdown -h" in foreground; this means
> >   once the UPS tells you the battery is low, you will indeed
> >   shutdown (there is no recovery).
> >
> > Note that as you halt the machine, the shutdown sequence
> > (/etc/init.d/halt) invokes ups-monitor one last time with the
> > kill flag (-k), forcing the UPS to turn off, but only if the UPS
> > is indeed in either the FAIL or LOW state (in any case, any UPS I
> > know of will ignore the kill signal if power is still available).
>
> I probably won't need something like this .. If the line is good,
> there's no reason to shutdown the ups, if the power failed, shutdown will
> be triggered when battery gets low.

The point is to save the UPS battery by telling _it_ to shutdown
after we have bought the computer down.

Peter