help!!

I'm trying to build build the boot-floppies package with some
modification to install some extra stuff.  But I'm having trouble
getting it to compile.  Does anyone have any clue to what the following
error means and how I might go about fixing it?  I know it's hard to
answer to a question like this, but I really would appreciate it.

/sbin/mkdosfs:  unable to get drive geometry for
'/var/tmp/floppy-image.24651'

    * the number at the end of the file name changes everytime.

Thank you,

Gwyneth Lloyd-Jones