strange multiple packages problem + question

Hi,

I'm trying to split libsgmls-perl (formarly also known as sgmlspm)
into libsgmls-perl and sgmlspl using the following control file
and rules file:

Source: libsgmls-perl
Section: text
Maintainer: Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org>
Standards-Version: 2.5.1.0

Package: libsgmls-perl
Architecture: all
Depends: perl5|perl
Recommends: sp
 This is a set of Perl5 routines for processing the output
 from the sgmls and nsgmls SGML parsers.
 .
 To make sensible use of this package you will need to install a
 suitable SGML parser as well.

Package: sgmlspl
Architecture: all
Depends: perl5|perl,libsgmls-perl
Recommends: sp
 To make sensible use of this package you will need to install a
 suitable SGML parser as well.

#!/usr/bin/make -f

build:
        dh_testdir
        true

clean:
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_clean

binary-indep:   build
        # create the libsgmls-perl package
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_clean -k
        dh_installdirs
        $(MAKE) prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr install
        dh_installdocs BUGS TODO
        dh_installexamples DOC/sample.pl
        dh_installchangelogs ChangeLog
        dh_compress
        dh_fixperms
        dh_installdeb
        dh_perl
        dh_gencontrol
        dh_md5sums
        dh_builddeb
        # create the sgmlspl package
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_clean -k
        dh_installdirs -psgmlspl
        dh_undocumented -psgmlspl sgmlspl.1
        dh_installdocs -psgmlspl
        dh_installchangelogs -psgmlspl
        dh_compress -psgmlspl
        dh_fixperms -psgmlspl
        dh_installdeb -psgmlspl
        dh_perl -psgmlspl
        dh_gencontrol -psgmlspl
        dh_md5sums -psgmlspl
        dh_builddeb -psgmlspl

binary-arch:

binary:         binary-indep binary-arch

.PHONY:         build clean binary-indep binary-arch binary

I'm using cvs-buildpackage and get the following error message
when it's building the libsgmls-perl package:

  dh_gencontrol
  dpkg-control: error: source package has two conflicting values -
  libsgmls-perl and sgmlspl
  dh_gencontrol: command returned error code
  make: *** [binary-indep] Error 1

When I change the rules file such that for the libsgmls-perl
package also has the '-p' option of the appropriate debhelpers,
I get the same error message when building the sgmlspl package.

Could someone shed a light on this strange situation as well as
provide a solution out of it?  I've read the various manuals but
maybe missed the appropriate section(s).

Thanks,
Ardo