Re: save us from well-meaning upstream authors.. :(

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 02:45:10PM +0200, Leon Breedt wrote:
> In the latest upstream release of a package, the authors put a debian/
> directory into the source that is totally stuffed :(.  How will the
> diff between upstream and my changes handle this if I remove their
> debian/ directory, and use mine instead?

Interesting. I believe our diffs don't record deletions, so if you try
it and there are still some files in the way that break your scripts,
you could try putting them in your "clean" target.

I have an upstream author who also provided debian stuff, but had the
luck that they were in two debian-something directories.
The author in question is very glad to have a real Debian maintainer for
his package and will gladly delete his original packaging attempts.

So you could ask them to remove it again. If as you say yours works
better, I don't see how they could refuse.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed