Re: newbie question

The important thing to know about tools like debmake and debhelper is that
they are just conveniences.  They are no substitute for the packagers own
understanding.  Let them help you not control you!

In this case, take a look at what debmake actually does.  It creates a
directory in the debian directory called tmp.  Then it creates all the
directories in the dirs files there.  If you had usr/bin and usr/man/man1
it would do something like

install -d debian/tmp/usr/bin
install -d debian/tmp/usr/man/man1

Then it calls your programs Makefile to compile the program and then the
install target of that Makefile to install it into the debian/tmp/*
directories and lastly runs the dpkg-* utilities that actually create the
.deb.

This is good enough for most cases but if you have special needs, there is
nothing to stop you from doing all this yourself without the fancy helper.

Edit debian/rules.

Remove the reference to make in the build target.

Replace the reference to make install in the binary-arch with something
like this:

install -o root -g root -m 0755 myfont debian/tmp/usr/share/fonts/myfont

or whatever it takes to get your files in the right places with the right
perms, ownership etc.  (Be sure to follow the Debian policy manual and
read the install(1) manpage.)

There maybe other steps but I hope you got the idea.  This is Debian.
Everything is under your control.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>