question about kernel sources .config

I was wondering if someone could answer a question which is confusing
me about the .config for the kernel sources and the boot floppies.

I am attempting to put together a rescue disk for a debian
distribution.  The reason for this is that I have developed a screen
review speech output system for the linux console driver I wish to
make boot disks available for folks to download and install their
debian distribution with speech.  I have been doing this for a while
actually, but I just downloaded and compiled some kernels from the
kernel sources 2.2.10 configuration file and the compiled kernel is
about 1.1 megs.  I am trying to figure out how you are supposed to get
these kernels on the standard rescue disk which only appears to have
room for about a 700k kernel.

Is there a new boot floppy installation system under development or
what am I missing?  I would certainly appreciate any suggestions or
clarification someone could give me.

  Kirk