Re: Package renaming?

Martin Schulze wrote:
> Mitch Blevins wrote:
> > How do I handle the case where the upstream author renames a package?
> >
> > I have a package, gtksamba.
> > It is conditionally compiled to produce to binary packages:
> > gtksamba and gtksamba-gnome.
> >
> > Upstream is renaming it to gnosamba, and dropping support for gtk-only.
> > The original package has never made it into an official release
> > (potato only).
> >
> > Any suggestions as to how to handle?
>
>   a) Ignore it
>
>   b) Add this to your control file:
>
>      Conflicts: gtksamba
>      Profides: gtksamba
>      Replaces: gtksamba
>
>      If you use the same config file it will be preserved by dpkg, if not,
>      save it in the preinst script.
>
> > My initial thought is to treat it as a new package, then orphan and
> > remove the two older packages.
>
> No, that's sick.

You are suggesting that potato be released containing three different
packages (which are really the same package)?

gtksamba, gtksamba-gnome, gnosamba

Adding the Conflicts:, Provides:, and Replaces: line makes perfect sense,
but I'm confused why you would be against removing the two older packages
from the archive (eventually... but before release).

-Mitch