multiple OS partitions

I have a large HD with several partitions already created. On one of
these I want to install debian 2.1

I have read the install manual, however, i have some questions before i
start:

i have installed redhat 5.1 on another machine and understand that Linux
names drives differently than Windows/Dos, my question here is how will
Debian GNU/Linux "see" my single HD with multiple partitions, how will I
insure myself that I install on the right partition?

Will hda be my first partition or will it be the first partition on my
Linux "disk"?

Rod Ford