Re: dpkg dependency checks are sometimes quite useless ?!

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Christian Hammers wrote:

> Written in a bug support for my wwwoffle packet:
>
> >2) When installing the new unstable wwwoffle (2.4b) with dpkg, the
> > installprocess first made a mess (by overwring the binary) and complained
> > about unmet libc2.1 dependencies --after-- that. I don't know if it's dpkg's
> > fault or wwwoffle, but the install process should check dependencies -first-.
>
> I, too, consider this behaviour of dpkg as not very optimal :-(+
> Have I done something wrong while packaging or how to prevent such cases ?

No your packaging is correct.  The behavior mentioned is documented and
expected of dpkg.  It is necessary for the proper installation of larger
numbers of packages at once. The solution is to use a higher-level tool
like apt and/or dselect to ensure that you're not trying to install
something with unmet dependancies.