Building from a source package

I have a feeling this may be a silly question, but here goes...

How do I build a binary package from a debian source package?

I have downloaded the source package, and unpacked it with dpkg-source, but
how do I make the .deb from it?

I need to recompile the package (samba) with a compile time setting changed
(MAX_OPEN_CONNECTIONS).  This is really urgent, any tips greatly appreciated.
--
       Alex King,  alex@earthlight.co.nz
       Earthlight Communications Limited