Re: Shared libraries and symlinks

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 01:34:49PM +0100, BROWN Nick wrote:

> Currently my problem (we're getting to the question now :-} ) is the
> symlink.  I need to provide a symlink libqt.so.1 to the file libqt.so.1.42.
> But this has to be after the shared library file in the archive.  Can anyone
> supply an example of a rules file which does this ?  Section 12 of the
> packaging manual is rather obscure in this area.  Better still, could
> someone provide an example rules file for a shared library binary ?

*ARG* Don't set this symlink! libqt.so.1 is generated by ldconfig - that is
what it is used for. It scans /usr/lib/ for .so.x.y.z files and links the
highest versions so that .so.x -> .so.x.y and .so.x.y -> .so.x.y.z, where y
and z are the highest numbers with that prefix.

You should call ldconfig from the postinst.

cu
    Torsten