Re: purging: what should be deleted ? (fwd)

On 18 Apr 1999, John Hasler wrote:

> Can dpkg tell the difference between the package that creates a directory
> and one that merely puts a file in it?

Well, that would depend on the order in which the packages were installed.

Consider Packages A and B that install things in /usr/foo.  If A is
installed first, then A creates /usr/foo and puts files in it.  Then,
later, B puts files there, too.  But if B is installed first, then B
creates /usr/foo; A installed later just puts files in there.  I don't
think creator is a useful criteria for having total control over a
directory.

YMMV, I'm not yet a maintainer ;>

--
William Ono <wmono@home.com>                               PGP key: 0x93BA6AFD
 fingerprint = E3 64 C5 43 3E B3 2D A6  C6 D7 E3 45 90 24 78 DE = fingerprint