Re: lintian warning about scripts not executable

"Darren O. Benham" wrote:

> > I'm not worried about the third; not much I can do about that
> > short of cahnging that filename and link just to make lintian quiet.
> Send a note about this to lintian-maint@debian.org to see how they want
> to handle that.

Okay.

> > The first two I'm not quite sure about.  The package is basically
> > a bunch of HTML files.  A few people might want a PostScript
> > version to print out; I expect this will be very few people.  So
> > instead of adding 2MB of compressed postscript to the package, I
> > am adding the following directory:
> >
> > $ ls -l /usr/doc/mh-book/postscript/
> > total 30
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1036 Apr 16 15:25 README.debian
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     root        12937 Apr 16 15:25 make-postscript-mh-book
> > -rw-r--r--   1 root     root        12836 Apr 16 15:25 make-postscript-mh-book-compressed
> >
> > The README.debian file tells how to do
> >
> > $ sh make-postscript-mh-book
> >
> > to create PostScript files in /tmp/mh-book-ps/
> > Sound okay?  No need to put these scripts in the system path, right?
> >

> The scripts start with #!/bin/sh (my guess) and that makes them
> executable with a simple ./make-postscript-mh-book if they 755
> instead of 644.  Either remove that line (hense the sh make*
> command you give) or chmod the scripts to 755.

Okay, I guess I will then remove the #!/bin/sh lines (You were
correct).   The reason I had not made them executable is that,
while I currently get a lintian _warning_, setting scripts
execuatble without of /usr/doc/NAME/examples/ generates a lintian
error:

E: mh-book: executable-in-usr-doc usr/doc/mh-book/postscript/make-postscript-mh-book 0755
E: mh-book: executable-in-usr-doc usr/doc/mh-book/postscript/make-postscript-mh-book-compressed 0755

Thanks,

Peter