Re: Unidentified subject!

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Christian Kurz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to became a Debian Developer and now started to package my
> first programm bvi. Now I have a problem which I couldn't solve, because
> I don't find the error. I'm getting the following error, when I try to
> create the debian-package by calling 'dpkg-buildpackage':
>
> | make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shorty/work/debian/packages/bvi-1.1.0'
> | make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shorty/work/debian/packages/bvi-1.1.0'
> | touch build
> | fakeroot debian/rules binary
> | test root = "`whoami`"
> | rm -rf debian/tmp
> | install -d debian/tmp/DEBIAN/
> | make prefix=debian/tmp/usr install
> | make[1]: Entering directory
> | `/home/shorty/work/debian/packages/bvi-1.1.0'
> | install -s bvi /usr/local/bin
> | install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/bvi': Permission
> | denied
> | make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> | make[1]: Leaving directory
> | `/home/shorty/work/debian/packages/bvi-1.1.0'
> | make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2
>
> Why does he try to install to /usr/local? Here's my rules-file, if it's
> needed:

It's some kind of problem with the upstream makefile - it's not respecting
make install prefix=...

A better option is often

make install DESTDIR=debian/tmp

so try that.

Failing that, examine the Makefile, and see where it isn't repecting
DESTDIR or prefix (and use the one that's going to be easier to fix)

Jules