location dependencies

I built my first test package a short time ago and all seemed to go well.  I
have a question about how to solve some location dependencies that exist in a
few packages that I plan to create.

When I built my test package I specified to the 'configure' script the
'--prefix' option was inside my debian directory.  This worked fine for this
package.  My question is how do I handle it if the package uses this location
to find libraries and config files at runtime.

For instance if I specify --prefix=debian/tmp the package will not find it's
needed files at runtime since this directory only exists when I am creating my
package.

I am sure other people have run into this problem.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Wayne