Off-topic was: Re: Licensing question

George Bonser writes:
> Because if they try to sell SuperCahsier E-Commerce Solutions to people
> they will also have to provide them with the source code ... which means
> that the purchaser can in turn resell it at a lower cost. As long as they
> are selling the SERVICE they are safe.

No they aren't.  You also have the program and could start selling it at any
time.  The situation is not stable.

> As soon as they sell the SOFTWARE they loose control over what happens to
> the copy they sold.

They never had control of any copies you might choose to sell.

> It gives them an incentive NOT to sell the software if they are making
> enough money on providing the service.

If they don't sell but you do you end up with that $100,000 instead of
them.  They are gambling by not selling.

> So I have to refuse to give them a candle if I want to keep my reading by
> candlelight business as lucrative as it is.

So they go to the originator, he sells them candles, and your rental
business goes down the tube.

> The original owner of the candle has prevented me from taking additional
> advantage of his invention without damaging myself in the long term.

You've done a damnfool thing by trying to play dog-in-the-manger.  You
could have rented candles out of one side of your business while selling
them out of the other, ramping down the rental business while establishing
yourself as king of the high-volume, low-cost commodity candle market.
Instead you have trapped yourself in a tiny niche market while the
librarian and the orginator clean up selling candles to everyone in town
who can't be bothered with making their own.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)