Re: /usr/bin vs /usr/sbin

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 11:54:00PM -0500, Shaleh wrote:
> > I'm working on packaging fakebo, which is a utility for logging the
> > activities of the (windows-based) BackOrifice and NetBus trojans.  In
> > it's original makefile it installed to /usr/local/bin, which I've
> > changed to $(DESTDIR)/usr/bin.  Because it's a program which wouldn't
> > usually be run by normal users, however, I'm wondering if
> > $(DESTDIR)/usr/sbin might not be a more appropriate location.  Comments?
>
> Sbin is for system run binaries, daemons, etc.  This sounds appropriate here.

sbin is for STATIC binaries.  For some reason none of the Linux dists
(unless slackware does and the knghtbrd package has a memleak) actually
use it as designed.

Possibly related to the size of glibc these days.  =>

--
"Do you think she's the sincere type? ... Yeah, I was afraid of that."
                        -- Richie Ryan, Highlander: The Series