hamm-->potato

hi there, i'm running a hamm system and would like to move to potato. does
anyone out there know whether it's better to just upgrade/add packages or
actually nuke hamm and install potato from scratch? it wouldn't be too
inconvenient, since i have an easy way to store my /home and /usr/local,
but it raises another problem which is that i've got a cable modem and my
cable service not only uses dhcp for ip assignment, but has a special "logon
protocol" (to prevent intruders from breaking into my house and stealing my
bandwidth or something :p) for which i've got a perl script; can boot-floppies
handle this? (before you ask, i downloaded a cd image for hamm, but i'd
rather not waste time borrowing my friend's cd writer again and besides,
dselect's cd method uses dpkg -R which is really painfully slow (or has this
changed?))

--phouchg