Re: conflict/replace/provide

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 02:07:29PM -0500, Shaleh wrote:
> > Why does it have to be *versioned*? It is logical that when you
> > depend on some package without version, you depend on every available
> > version of that package. It would be normal to presume that if
> > you provide some package without, you provide every available version
> > of that package, wouldn't it?
>
> Would seem so, but there could be a reason why version 0.2.1 was needed rather
> than 0.3.  Provides will please a package's depends as long as it does not care
> about the version.

That also makes sense. Unfortunately, it makes replacing any library
impossible since most (all?) libs have versions in shlibs :(
Actually, it is possible with forcing, but...

> Sorry I meant in what ways did it act stupid.  I think it has something to do
> with the first package it builds versus the other packages.  Could be wrong.  I
> just trusted joeyh's wizardry -- it is easier than worrying about it myself.

Yes, but that other rule I mentioned (where it works the way I like it)
is the one that first gets built :)
Disclaimer: rest of the dh_* utils didn't give me trouble, just this
un-cooperation of dh_installdirs (and dh_movefiles because of that).