Re: Conventions for library naming

On 17/02, Marco Kuhlmann wrote:

| I found out that the script checks for libgmp2.so, while the
| deb-packaged version of gmp2 contains a libgmp2.so.2. Setting up
| a symlink solves the problem, but I guess that is not the idea.
| Now my question: Is it the script that is not well-written, or
| is it the gmp2-package that does not set up links properly, or
| what is it?

Grmpf, it will become a FAQ if it's not already :)

In general, a "libxxxn" package provides support for library "xxx" with
a major number of "n". That means that you can run programs that need such
a library at execution time.

Now, if you want to compile programs using this library (instead of just
executing them), then you will need the package "libxxxn-dev" or "libxxx-dev".

  Sam

PS/ sometimes, the name is not "libxxxn" but "xxxn" or "xxxn-runtime".
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@debian.org