Can't boot, /bin/sh:xmalloc: cannot allocate

I'm new to Linux and have just tried my first install.   The machine is an
IBM Valuepoint, 486SX with 4MB.   The install process using lowmem goes well
except that it won't recognize the swap partition I created once it enters
the "normal" install process that it loads from the install partition.
Everything else in the install process goes smooth.

After the install process and it reboots, the system gives me the following
errors:

/etc/rc2.d/s20logoutd: fork: cannot allocate memory
/etc/rc2.d/s99rmnologin: fork: cannot allocate memory
/bin/sh: xrealloc: cannot reallocate 496 bytes (0 bytes allocated)

The last message just continuously repeats itself forever with just the
number of bytes changing.  I never get a command prompt.

Anyone have any ideas??