init script

I'm packaging an udp logger. I would like to make it start from init,
but I have some little problems.

1) The program must be started as:
# udplog <level>
where level is a number. No default is read from is config file. Is
right to hardcode the level in the init script? Or the level must be
read from a file (that means that I have to convince the upstream author
to write the code, or that I have to modify the C source).

2) Non all the user would like to start the command from init. So there
must a postinst script that ask the user if he wants to use or not init.
How can I put the right code, together with the code generated by
dh_installinit?

--
Mauro Mazzieri  -  http://gulliver.unian.it/~mazzieri/
finger mazzieri@gulliver.unian.it for PGP key and geek code