Re: configuration file placement

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:

> Personally I do not think EVERY package belongs in /etc.  Sytem control, sure.
> But small things, no.  I am aware of the current policy, but I think a strict
> "everything goes here" is bound to have problems.

IMHO, I should be able to NFS-mount /usr read-only from one server for
a whole lab of computers, *and* I should be able to exclude /usr from
a backup as long as I keep the output of `dpkg --get-selections'.

A very simple solution would to create a symlink from
/usr/share/packagename/conffile to /etc/packagename/conffile.

"The risk of U.S. national security resting in the hands of adults who play
with children's toys during office hours is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                       - Bruce Martin in RISKS