Re: diversions!? arrrgghhh!!!!

Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> Preparing to replace wmaker 0.20.3-1 (using wmaker_0.20.3-3.deb) ...
>  Removing diversion of asclock.1x to asclock.afterstep.1x...
>  dpkg-divert: rename involves overwriting
>  `/usr/X11R6/man/man1/asclock.1x.gz' with
>    different file `/usr/X11R6/man/man1/asclock.afterstep.1x.gz', not allowed
>  dpkg: error processing wmaker_0.20.3-3.deb (--unpack):
>   subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
>
>  The offending command in preinst:
>
>       dpkg-divert --quiet --package wmaker \
>          --divert $old_asclock_man_divert_to \
>          --remove $asclock_man
>
>  Please note it doesn't contain --rename
>
>  Now, WHAT THE HECK IS dpkg-divert TALKING ABOUT THEN!!!??!??!?!

It sounds like it's renaming "asclock.afterstep.1x" _back_ to "asclock.1x",
since you told it to undo the diversion. I've just looked at the source code,
the error is from the checkrename() function, which is indeed called when
you remove a diversion, right before it does a dorename() to undo the
diversion. So it's just a crappy error message.

It might be interesting to look at dpkg-divert --list on the affected systems.

>  Any ideas about how I can handle this?

Sorry I can't shed any more light. This reminds me of the snafu last spring
with xaw-wrappers and dpkg-divert; took about 2 months to fix it and I still
can't entirely wrap my head around what was wrong. Hang in there..
dpkg-divert is a beast.

--
see shy jo