Re: Why only one non-free section?

On Monday 14 September 1998, at 16 h 5, the keyboard of Sven
<luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

> what if i release a software under some kind of DFSG compliant license. someone
> can simply come and sell the stuff. making profit from it, but never giving
> some of it back to the author or the Free software community.

Yes, that's freedom. Freedom means (among others) freedom to be selfish. For
instance, I have the freedom to give money or not to the FSF or to SPI or to
Greenpeace or to Amnesty International. I don't have the freedom to pay my
taxes or not (only an indirect freedom, through elections of the parliament).

> do we really need that some people make money of the free software for it to
> be successful ?

Yes. Otherwise, who will press the CDROMs we need for people not connected to an high-speed research network like Renater we use both of us? Who will do the boring job of pressing CDROMs, putting them in an envelope and posting them?