Re: Why only one non-free section?

This has come up before.  It was decided then that non-free is there because
it is software that is NOT part of Debian.  Essentially, being placed in
non-free which is hard to package on CD-ROM is the price these packages pay
for being non-free.

We don't WANT to make it easy to use non-free software, which is why we
haven't split non-free.  We don't want to make it unreasonably hard either,
which is why we allow non-free and contrib sections to begin with.  We just
don't want non-free software associated with Debian.  If we split non-free
as you describe, we'd be essentially giving in to non-free software and it
would be on everyone's CDs.  Nobody would bother with "official" images
either, and that has already proven to be a mess.

If someone else thinks this explanation is not suitable, you're welcome to
toss in your 01 (two bits).