Re: Faking the Root dir

On Fri, Sep 11, 1998 at 10:20:05AM -0500, Philip Thiem wrote:
> Hey I would wondering if by change there is a program that can make
> another program think that the root directory is another directory???  I
> have a program, I'm packaging, that has some wrapper program, that are
> compiled, but these get hardcoded value.  So I cann't tell it to install
> to debian/tmp/..... I'm going through the script try to figure out a
> solution, but a directory redirection ultility like I describe would be
> a much quicker solution...... Another would
> be editing the wrapper programs myself, and removing the configuration
> code...

Im not sure this is the right way to do it but...
there is always chroot
[sjc@lenny ~]$man chroot
CHROOT(8L)                                             CHROOT(8L)

NAME
       chroot  -  run  command  or interactive shell with special
       root directory

SYNOPSIS
       chroot [--help] [--version] directory [command...]

...Is this what you are looking for?
I don't think it will solve you rproblem though...because for the process which
is run, and all of its children,  / really becomes that dir ....
and only the super user can use the command....
a couple of minuses there...probably better to edit the scripts et al

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"