Re: what are the latest debian packaging tools.

> Hi,

>  >> As an absolute beginner myself, I use:
>  >> deb-make for initial packaging (in package debmake)
>
> 	You realize, I hope, that debmake is deprecated by its author,
>  and is no longer being in kept in sync with policy. So anyone using
>  deb-make may have packages that do not conform to policy anymore.

No, I did not realise this.  Correction, I vaguely remember some
discussion about it months ago on debian-devel, but since at the time,
I was not actively trying to make any packages, so I didn't pay close
attention.

However, debmake is still available in slink, and the Developer's
Corner still has "Creating a Package using Debmake" listed directly
above the "New-Maintainer's Debian Packaging Howto" (and lists the two
as to be merged), it was hard for me to tell.

> 	If you must use helper packages, debhelper is the way to go (I
>  prefer hand crafting my packages)

Thanks, I'll look into it.