Re: Window manager policy question

On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 01:32:31PM -0400, Shaleh wrote:

> Dumb question -- how do you get sh or what not to take long options (the
> --add type options you mentioned).  Or even perl.  I have never written
> an app that used them.  Always used -foo or foo.

In bash there's getopts (I don't know if that does long options or not). In
perl you can use Getopt::Long (or take a look at update-inetd). Anyway,
there's nothing special about long options in the shell, they are parsed in
the same way as other arguments...

In sh:

while [ $# -ne 0 ] ; do
  case $1 in
    --option-with-argument|-a)
      # do something with $2
      shift
      ;;
    --option-with-optional-argument|-b)
      if [ "$2" ] ; then
        # do something with $2
        shift
      else
        # do something else with a default value
      fi
      ;;
    --option-without-argument|-c)
      # do something
      ;;
  esac
  shift
done

if you want to get funky about it, long options should take the form
--option=value..

						Marcelo