configuration file question

Hey,

I hope you can help me with this one...

In Incoming on master, there is webalizer_1.20-2_i386.deb. The package
itself works fine (at least, as far as I can test it), but I have a problem
concerning the upgrade from an earlier version of webalizer.

The Packaging Manual states that one shouldn't touch the files listed in
debian/conffiles in the debian/postinst script. OK, but I can't get that to
work.

In postinst, I want the user to be able to change the contents of the
conffile, /etc/webalizer.conf. This is done by some magic using sed. But
what if there already is a /etc/webalizer.conf? Now the user gets asked to
fill in the new values, though that isn't necessairy when upgrading. It
just needs to be asked when installing.

How do I do that?

Thanks for your help,

 -Remco