Re: circular depends: problem

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:

> With the new Enlightenment package I have a small snag.  I have the
> main E package w/ docs and the E binary.  I then have an
> enlightenment-theme package.  E depends on e-theme.  E-theme
> contains a /usr/doc symlink to E.  So e-theme *should* depend (it
> recommends: it now) on E.  However this is wrong also, as it would
> create a circular depends that can cause problems.  Suggestions?

a) circular dependencies do *not* cause problems; dpkg, dselect (&
   presumably apt) handle them just fine.  The only thing that might
   not is users.

b) A dependency for the sake of nothing more than a /usr/doc/ symlink
   is broken.  I suggest you make an /usr/doc/e-theme/ which contains
   the copyright and changelogs, nothing more.  Symlink-ing of
   /usr/doc/$package should be only done to packages which the
   original package already Depends: on for other reasons.

--
James
~Yawn And Walk North~                                  http://yawn.nocrew.org/