Re: tempfile <-> IO::Handle::new_tmpfile?

On Sat, Jul 11, 1998 at 03:50:35PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:

> >    can I use IO::Handle::new_tmpfile in an Perl script that's run on
> >  postinst? The package has to Predepend on perl, right?
>
> Why not just depend on debianutils (>= 1.6) and use the tempfile
> command?

 There's nothing wrong with debianutils... this is more a meta
 question, I was just wondering if I could use the Perl provided
 method... and debianutils is part of the base system, and it's
 requiered, so there's no need to depend on it, is there?

> >  I'll use this
> >  tempfile to modify a conffile (it *has* to be modified, it's not an
> >  option)...
>
> If it has to be modified, policy says it cannot be a conffile. Postinst
> could create it instead.

 Well, I didn't explain myself. In the particular case I'm dealing
 with, the file is already there, and it has to be fixed because the
 program (wmaker) won't even start with the old data. There are
 several keys .*Fiend.* that have to be changed to .*Clip.*; if the
 change is not made, wmaker won't start (the general feeling among
 developers is "this is still under development, use at your own
 risk"... I'm just trying to cope with that)

                                  Marcelo